Sunprints

Sunprints
Sunprints I made in the summer at the family cottage

Sunday 16 September 2018

Eco printing on fabric in August

I had some time at the family cottage again at the end of August and did some eco printing.  Here are some photos taken of my process.  This post shows some printing on rusted cotton and a silk scarf which I had  pre dyed in natural indigo.

Here you can see I put some plant materials on a rusted piece of white cotton.  I used red onion skins, sumac branches, wild grapes and rose leaves from my bush at home on this one.


Here are my plant materials spread on a silk scarf I had pre dyed in natural indigo.  I used wild grapes, sumac branches and wild raspberry branches on this one. Looks promising doesn't it?!


Here are the fabrics wound around rods and put in the steamer.  I learned last year that it's better to protect your rod with a layer of cling film as well as put a layer of cling film on top of the plant materials so that when you wind up the bundle the colour doesn't bleed through to other layers.


Here's the cotton fabric on the washline afterwards.  I particularly like this one.  You can see the blue from the wild grapes and because one sumac branch faced up and the other faced down, the prints are different.  The fabric was folded in half, giving a double print of each.


Here's the silk scarf afterwards on the washline.  The indigo faded quite a bit but you can see the purple from the wild grapes (in the presence of vinegar) and the leaf prints.


Here's a closer look at the scarf afterwards.  I'm going to try eco printing first and dipping in indigo second and see how that works out as well.  Thanks for having a look today!




No comments: